Tuesday, March 16, 2010

This is the unfortunate events of a quite fortunate girl - looks long but trust me you'll laugh. Worth reading even just to feel better about yourself

I usually like to post at least once a week, sometimes two or three. But some quite unfortunate events have occurred to me recently that have prevented me from doing so. And even in the times when I was physically able to blog, I was mentally unable to, due to the stresses of these unfortunate events.

I will first start off with technology. Yes, gosh darn technology. My generation is SO dependent on it. And when it fails you, it is as if you no longer belong to the world. You are lost. You can't figure things out. And you are too distracted by the fact that you are lost to even begin to start finding yourself again.

So were going to start off my series of most unfortunate technological events with about 2 and 1/2 weeks ago. There was a big snowstorm, a wire fell from our house, and I did not have Internet or cable for over 2 days. Now is this the end of the world? No. We could still watch movies, and go to the library or our friends houses for Internet. Mostly we just chilled without it, sort of taking it as an opportunity to not have to rely on Internet. But it felt off. As me and my roommates sat and talked, we couldn't just IM somebody or check wikipedia real quick or do our homework which is 95% online these day. We couldn't do what we wanted, when we wanted. It was inconvenient.

Then during those same 2 days that Internet and cable was gone, my phone mysteriously broke for about 8 hours. Just shut off. I had no way of contacting anybody except for my roommates at home. Turns out something was just wrong with my charger and I was able to fix it. And then 3 days later ... my computer mysteriously died. For 24 hours, it just decided to rest and not turn on. Which meant I was freaking out about my whole life that is stored on that computer and not knowing whether I would ever get it back or not. But I did. Thank goodness. 24 hours later it decided it was done resting and came back to me.

Then a few days later, I left my USB disc in a computer classroom which was then locked. About 10 minutes later I went to give my oral presentation with a power point that was on the USB disc...and I didn't have it. (thank goodness I also saved it on the web! So I then had to log online and save it to my friends USB disc) Moral of the story: without a friend's USB disc and the Internet I would have been screwed. Then the next day I retrieved my USB disc... only to find it is now broken. Won't work. So all that homework saved on there must be re-done. That night our power went out again. I had to go to the library to do my homework.

And for the best of all ... last Wednesday... I have a test in just a few minutes, I really have to pee. I check my phone, its 10:08. The test is at 10:10. I put my phone in my coat pocket, sprint to the bathroom, pee, turn, flush the toilet, and PLOP, FLUSH, WOOSH, CLUNK! My phone is gone.
Down the toilet.
Gone in the blink of an eye.
That toilet just sucked it right up.
I stared at it for a second or two. Nothing else was really going through my mind besides "That just happened."
Then I had to run off to my test where the first 10 minutes of it i just stared at my paper, not even holding my pencil, saying to myself "That just happened. Fuck. That just happened."

I spent the next 3 days without a phone. I now have my dad's old phone, but no numbers in it. I also was gone for the whole weekend visiting my sister so I haven't been online in 5 days....

My life has just felt so discombobulated for the last 2 weeks. I can't keep up with everyone else. I'm just off doing my own thing with nobody knowing where I am or what I'm doing. I went to practice whenever I could since I didn't get emails about when I was supposed to go. I did my own workouts since I didn't get emails about what the workouts were. My mom was worried sick and not sleeping at night because she had no way of contacting me to make sure I was alive. We had people over our house and I didn't invite anyone because I have no way of contacting friends. I have had to make plans way way ahead of time because the chances of people reaching me on the spot are quite small.
And you know what ... I'm alive.
I'm not alone. I'm safe. I'm happy I'm healthy.
I'm getting more ME time. More Lindsey time.
I only talk to friends who have found a way to contact me...which is nice. I'm not getting smothered by facebook updates 6 times a day. Emails can wait to be responded to. I gotten out of doing homework a lot. It's not the end of the world like everyone thinks it is. Somebody told me recently that their phone's battery was dieing and they were freaking out and I just laughed to myself and wish I could share with her the wisdom which I have recently attained: Life goes on without your phone!
:)


Oh and the best part of all:
I been bringing my Not A Book with me almost everywhere lately. I've known that with my screwy computer and technology in general failing for me that I wouldn't be able to blog ... but I assumed that a good old fashioned book and pen could survive in my life. So yesterday while waiting for my sister in NY I opened the next page and it says

THIS IS AN UNDERGROUND ORGANIZATION
1. Go to www.thisisnotabook.org
2. Enter this code: JT25261
3. Receive your mission.


Seriously??! Even the book needs a computer to survive in this generation now!
Well, NOT a Book, you will have to wait until I'm done with my technology free alone time before I return to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment