Tuesday, June 15, 2010

This is work, believe it or not.


I am going to visit one of my best friends and roommates in Finland in 5 days! I am SO excited. But this is a rather expensive little vacation of mine and I plan on spending all my money once I'm there. So for the last month I have been working my butt off to save up my money. Working so much that I cant even blog!

I've been waitressing which, I think, is a lot of fun. And once you stop screwing up orders, you make pretty good money. So I do that about 4 days a week...they're short shifts though; 11-5am or 5-10pm. And then I work at the gym on campus. I only do 3 shifts a week but they are unfortunately at 645 in the morning! Every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday! This wouldn't be so bad if I were adjusted to it; but with a night time waitressing job and a nighttime based college social life, its pretty difficult for me to wake up at 6 when I don't go to bed until after 1am and when my body has been incapable of taking naps since as long as I can remember.

And then two weeks ago I was also hired at the gym as an exercise class instructor. I teach a class every Wednesday and I will be starting up one on Fridays too!


So in total... I'm working about 40 hours a week; which is totally normal. But its not steady; its not Monday-Friday 9-5...in fact, I've been working 7 days a week because my two jobs like to schedule me on opposite days! But like I said... I want money for Finland! So I really don't care right now.

And although waitressing can be difficult sometimes when its busy, my job at the gym is SOOOO easy that I really cant even call it work.
In fact, I'm at work right now.
Yeah..I'm getting paid to do this right now :)
Every Tuesday I work the "equipment checkout" at the gym... meaning I get to sit down at a computer, go online if I want, read a book if I want, blog if I want... and all I have to do is give people a lock or a basketball or a bath towel if they ask me for it. Oh, and I have to fold all of our towels once they are done in the wash. So the only actual "work" that I have to do here is getting enough motivation to wake up and get here at 6 in the morning!! After that, its a breeze ;)
Wednesday and Thursday mornings aren't quite so easy, because there are no computers or books involved. I'm a floor supervisor; so I just walk around and talk to other people and workers and make sure everything is going okay in the gym. So I would say that the hardest part of that job is finding things to entertain me for over 4 hours!


"Working hard, or hardly working" Both seem to apply to me right now.
In fact page 177 and 178 is "A kit for attending boring events" and I purposely brought it to work with me this morning so that I could do it! The "Not a Book" had a crossword puzzle for me to solve, a picture for me to color, and a space for me to play a modified version of I-spy ... I think this page was meant to accompany somebody who was stuck at a boring event such as meeting, or waiting for a bus, or jury duty ... but for me it was meant to accompany me at work :) It honestly only helped pass the time for about 12 minutes. But hey, its better than nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment