Sunday, December 27, 2009

These are some of my favorite sayings ... use them as you wish.

I've been having more than a few bad days in a row. ("But its Christmas time, why?") I don't know why. Sometimes people just have a bad day. Or two. Or thirty. The things I normally do to make myself feel better ... well, I just haven't felt like doing them. In the fall I often used This is NOT a Book to get me to do something and raise my mood,. And even though I haven't felt like doing that either lately, this morning I decided to suck it up and just try. In attempts to do something I would actually follow through with, I was selective; I didn't pick a difficult page because I didn't want to get discouraged and give up on it. Page 110 was an excerpt from another book. I grabbed the book I'm currently reading (which I haven't read in over a week because I haven't felt like reading...) and opened to a random page, closed my eyes, and picked a sentence.

"We sat down behind a table and I was suddenly aware I could not take off my suit jacket because, particularly after my sprint through downtown traffic, my starched white shirt was now soaked through with sweat." --- Love in the Driest Season by Neely Tucker.

That wasn't so difficult.
It means nothing to me. I haven't gotten to that point in the book yet so I have no idea what it means. But it did spark an interest in me to write down some of my other favorite quotes or excerpts or lyrics. One of my best friends, Anna, ALWAYS writes down quotes when shes feeling down. Every time without fail her room is covered with little post-its and notes of quotes that make her feel better. Well this morning, that is my therapy as well. Here are some of my favorite sayings, quotes and excerpts ...for feeling good, for faith, for motivation, for realization...For good or for bad. They're only a few compared to the thousands of good and meaningful quotes I've heard in my life thus far. And they're not connected in any way. Their only common theme is: I like them; and I thought of them this morning.


Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again,but life goes on.

Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it.
--Blow (the movie)

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand

-- Irish Blessing

… I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering it things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.

It’s wrong what they say about the past, I’ve learned, about how you can bury it. Because the past claws its way out.

When spring comes it melts the snow one flake at a time.
-- The Kite Runner

We knowers are unknown to ourselves, and for a good reason: How can we ever find what we have never looked for?

We have to do things to survive: find food, shelter, and so on. We do all this without thinking: We only need to think, in fact, when some problem arises. It's like driving: you just do it automatically, and it's only when you notice you're about to crash that you have to start paying attention.
-- Heidegger (philosopher)

Her True Greatness will not lie in her actions, which will be judged by the social realm; it will lie in the extent to which she has struggled in private. Has kept her faith within herself.
-- Kierkegaard (philosopher. This is the quote from the book "A Modern Girl's Guide to European Philosophy that I blogged about a month or so ago...)

To live would be an awfully great adventure.
-- Peter Pan of Neverland

People who need people are the luckiest people in the world.
-- Barbara Streisand song "People"

There is always a valley before a hill
-- anonymous

Any man who knows a thing knows he knows not a damn damn thing at all
And every time I feel the hurt I feel the giving getting me up off the wall.
-- K'naan song "Take a Minute"

And instead of saying all of your goodbyes - let them know
You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round

-- Do you realize by the Flamming Lips

I believe in the sand beneath my toes.The beach gives a feeling,
An earthy feeling. I believe in the faith that grows.
-- Third Eye Blind Semi Charmed Life

Most of the battles of life are won by looking beyond the clouds to the sun. And having the patience to wait for the day until the sun comes out and the clouds float away.
-- Precious Moments of Inspiration

The world is smaller than you think, and the people on it are more beautiful than you think.

-- Bertram van Munster

No comments:

Post a Comment