Monday, October 5, 2009

This is not Harry Potter

So bringing a surf board to the beach bash was quite a hit. The first comment I got all night was from a close friend of mine who thought I had chinese take out with me. Cardboard surf boards and chinese take out ... ehhhh, close enough? And although it would have been really odd to bring chinese take out to a party, I think she was relatively disappointed that it wasn't ... not much in this world beats chinese take out on a saturday night.

Even funnier was when I arrived at the house and was flaunting my surf board ["If you got it flaunt it, boy i know you want it" ;) ] and another friend said something along the lines of "HEY! Cool surf board!" Like it was a wicked cool idea and he wish he had thought of it.
Come on, who am i trying to fool? Its not normal. But he totally thought it was. And I'm not going to lie, it boosted my confidence.

Under the circumstances of being at a beach bash and all, dancing had to be done. And for a while my surf board came with me. We rode the waves, we did the wave, and I was waving my board in the air "like I just dont care." Then it got a bit worn out, so it chilled in the corner for the rest of the evening. In full view of course. In disguise.

Throughout the night I discussed my recent (not)blogging endeavors and (not a) book reading adventures with a few people and I got a few great responses! And of course,a few questioning and odd responses.
ie: "Why the heck are you doing this??"
and
"I don't get it. Why?"
and
"Geesh you have a LOT of time on your hands"
Which I find particularly annoying because I dont! I hardly have any extra time. BUT in the extra free time that I do have, I still DO things. Like read, and blog. As opposed to playing video games, facebook creeping, or watching tv, accomplishing nothing (With the exception of Greys Anatomy every Thursday night. Thats an exception. I can't live without it. And even at that, it is a medical show. So technically its educational....which is a bunch of bs, but I'm trying to make a point here...). So I think that reading and blogging does not mean that I have a ton of free time. It just means I like to do stuff. I don't like being bored.

But by far, my favorite discussion of the night came from 2 new friends who somehow concluded that because I was doing this, I must be the type of person who reads Harry Potter.
I wish I could explain to you the thought process of reaching that conclusion, but I don't understand it myself. Especially since I don't read Harry Potter. Somehow I found myself in a situation defending the fact that I don't read Harry Potter for the majority of the 20minute walk home. And even if I did read Harry Potter, what does that have to do with this? And is it a bad thing to read Harry Potter? Because from what I hear there are about 7 books and 6 mega-hit multimillion dollar movies about Harry Potter, so it can't possibly be a bad thing even if I did read it! I just don't read it because I tried once but it was way too fictional for me. And I can't watch the movies because they scare me. (Yeah, I know, its pathetic). But thats besides the point.
The point is, carrying around a surfboard with me does not mean that I am a crazy Harry Potter fanatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment